March 6 - 12, 2016
School Social Work Week is always the first FULL week of March so will be March 6 -12, 2016. We have collected some resources to help you celebrate here as well as throughout our website. Be sure to let your districts know so that it can be placed on your School Calendars.
We hope you will make some great plans to celebrate as well as receive much deserved recognition for the critical role that you provide to students, administrators, teachers, educators, parents and the community! We have collected some resources to help you celebrate here as well as throughout our website (see home page). Enjoy and hope you have a Happy School Social Work Week!!!
RESOURCES FOR SCHOOL SOCIAL WORK WEEK
On March 4, 2015 Representative Gwen Moore (D-WI) introduced Congressional Resolution H. RES. 146, "Expressing support for designation of the week of March 1, 2015, through March 7, 2015, as School Social Work Week.” Rep, Moore continues to be a "Champion" of School Social Work. See her "Dear Colleague Letter" from 2013.
In 2013 SSWAA sent letters to the 50 State Governors asking them to declare School Social Work Week in their state. Since then we have provided tools for states to secure their own proclamations which we have posted as we receive them. We encourage your state to request new Proclamations and send for posting Contactus@sswaa.org.
2016 GOVERNOR's PROCLAMATIONS
2015 GOVERNOR's PROCLAMATIONS
Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Washington
2014 GOVERNOR's PROCLAMATIONS
Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Wisconsin (Wisconsin Press Release)
2013 GOVERNOR's PROCLAMATIONS:
Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Maryland--Senator Barbara Mikulski Proclamation, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin
Sample Proclamation Statements: (Members Only)
Interested in requesting a School Social Work Week Proclamation from your Governor, District and/or Municipality? Click here for suggestions, sample request letter and Sample Proclamation Statements for consideration.
Congressional Resolution Honoring School Social Workers
On March 4, 2015 Representative Gwen Moore (D-WI) introduced Congressional Resolution H. RES. 146, recognizing School Social Work Week.
School Social Workers Celebrate:
"Who Are We to Our Students?" Poem by Hope Pacheco, LMSW
How did YOU celebrate? Let us know
Here are some suggestions for how you can promote and celebrate School Social Work (SSW) Week:
- Write a Letter to the Editor:
In a Letter to the Editor to the Connecticut The Courant in December 2013, Stephen A. Karp, the Executive Director of the National Association of Social Work (NASW) -CT, specifically noted the status and need for School Social Workers in the state of Connecticut. As you know, the recommended ratio for school social workers by the School Social Work Association of America as well as NASW is 1 to 250. As we get ready for School Social Work Week, take a look and consider writing your own version of a Letter to the Editor with relevant local data for your state/municipality. Read more.
- Sponsor a breakfast at your school thanking staff for their support
- Exchange "secret SSW" gifts with other SSW for the week and have a get together on Friday to celebrate
- Write a short description of school social work for local paper acknowledging SSW week
- Write an article for the district/school newspaper or newsletter.
- Offer to present at a faculty meeting on topics you are familiar with such as mental health issues, bullying, suicide prevention, substance abuse, mandated reporting,
- Send yourself flowers, or better yet, have someone else send flowers!
- Have principal acknowledge your contribution during staff meeting
- Send dates to your local union to include in calendar
- Make a sign for the teachers lounge
- Have students make cards/posters about SSW
- Have Superintendent/School Board recognize the important role of district school social workers at a School Board Meeting
- Present to the school board acknowledging SSW week and your job (bring statistics and a powerpoint)
- Organize a all school social workers get together after school
- Send thank you notes to the other SSW in your district
- Send a thank you email to other SSW
- Develop and distribute School Social Worker Brochure regarding your services for teachers, administrators, and/or parents
- Send a thank you for your support email to teachers and the principal
- Provide small item and note in teacher's mailbox thanking them for their support
- Contact special education director/district level supervisor to thank them for supporting your work
- Dress up (professionally) the whole week or one day to celebrate SSW Week
- Bring in a dessert for lunch to share with staff.
- Wear a silly hat all week
- Host an "Open House" in your office so staff can see what you do!
- Present at a staff meeting about your job/statistics etc
- Have a party for the students you see to thank them for being great kids to work with
- Smile all week and remember your work is important and valuable, THANK YOU!!!
Send us other ways YOU celebrate School Social Work Week!
For a list of documents, pamphlets, powerpoints, articles, job retention resources, etc, to promote School Social Work, Members-Click here. Non-Members--Click here.
School Social Work Association of America
P.O. Box 203844, Austin, TX 78720 -Contact Us