School Social Workers: Back to School. Time to Gear Up for a Successful School Year
How? Help Enroll Eligible Children and Teens in Medicaid and CHIP
Kids across the country are getting ready to go back to school—let’s make sure they start the year with health coverage! For the millions of children and teens who are eligible but not enrolled in Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), this is a great time to remind families that they can apply year-round. Help reach families this Back-to-School season by teaming up with the Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign, a nationwide effort to spread the word about Medicaid and CHIP and get eligible children and teens enrolled. Children covered under Medicaid or CHIP have access to doctor and dental visits, immunizations, vision care, prescription drugs, and more.
Here’s how you can get involved:
1. Talk to parents about free or low-cost health insurance options for their family (in some states, more parents may qualify for Medicaid than ever before). Refer them to https://www.healthcare.gov/ or 1-877-KIDS-NOW to learn more about Medicaid and CHIP and get help applying.
2. Download Connecting Kids to Coverage flyers and posters to share with parents or distribute at community events.
3. Sign up for the Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign Notes eNewsletter to get outreach and enrollment tips.
4. Follow the Campaign on Twitter and spread the word to your network using sample tweets, posts and social graphics.
Help enroll eligible kids so they’re ready for whatever the school year might bring. For more information on the Campaign, or to find out other ways you can get involved, go to InsureKidsNow.gov or call 1-855-313-KIDS (5437).
The Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign has a collection of resources available on InsureKidsNow.gov. These include materials that can be customized (34 pages) with your organization’s information through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Division of Design Services. The materials include messages about oral health, teens, allergies & asthma season and more. Additional resources include training webinars, outreach videos and issues of “Campaign Notes.”
2015 Target Markets and Lead Organizations
The Connecting Kids to Coverage National Campaign is working especially in five target markets with high numbers of eligible but uninsured children to let families know about Medicaid and CHIP and how to get their children enrolled. In each target market, the Connecting Kids to Coverage campaign supports a local lead organization doing outreach and enrollment work in their community.
The 2015 Connecting Kids to Coverage target markets and lead organizations are:
1. Jacksonville, Florida: The PLAYERS Center for Child Health
2. Tampa, Florida: Family Healthcare Foundation
3. Las Vegas, Nevada: Foundation for Positively Kids, Inc.
4. Dallas, Texas: The Community Council of Greater Dallas
5. Corpus Christi, Texas: The Community Action Corporation of South Texas
For more information on the Campaign or to find out other ways you can get involved, go to InsureKidsNow.gov or call 1-855-313-KIDS (5437).
Thank you for all you do to ensure that America’s children get the health coverage they need.