" Mental Health in Schools Act of 2015 "
A summary of this bill is available here.
April 30, 2015 (Left) picture Grace Napolitano (C-CA) (Right) Picture includes Chris Gibson (R-NY), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), & Grace Napolitano (C-CA) in front supporting Children's Mental Health Awareness Day.)
We strongly encourage you to contact your Senators and Representative and urge him/her to “Support the Mental Health in Schools Act (Senator Franken and Representative Napolitano)
Here is how to TAKE ACTION! (It will only take about 10 minutes.)
1. If you don't already know who your House member is, go to www.house.gov put in your zip code, and you'll find your House member.
BONUS QUESTION: Is your Representative on one of the committees: Education & the Workforce Committee, and the Energy and Commerce Committees. Check Ed Workforce Committee and the Energy and Commerce Committee participants. If yes, your advocacy is CRUCIAL to our efforts, as these are the Committee members that must FIRST consider these bills.
2. Call the member's office. You can reach every member through the Capitol switchboard at 202-225-3121 (Please use your home or cell phone. DO NOT USE YOUR SCHOOL PHONE!).
3. Once you've reached the office, ask for the name and spelling of the staff person who handles education and/or mental health issues. If this is two different people, ask that the message be passed on to both of them.
4. If the staff person is available, identify yourself as a school social worker and a constituent and a member of SSWAA (hopefully!) and your state association, if there is one. Deliver the following message:
"I would like Senator_________/Representative ________ to support the Mental Health in Schools Act. This important legislation would increase support for mental health and counseling services in the schools to strengthen suicide prevention, decrease bullying, and promote a positive school climate and safer school community.”
If the staff person wants more information about school social worker in his/her district, tell them about what you do every day for kids and families!
If the staff person is NOT available:
5. Send an email with the same message. All House staff email addresses follow this same formula: firstname.lastname@example.org (example: email@example.com) .
6. If you have any questions, please contact the SSWAA Legislative Staff: Myrna Mandlawitz, Director of Government Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org or Libby Nealis, Director of Policy and Advocacy, email@example.com
Please ask all SSWAA members in your state to contact their Representatives!
THANK YOU for taking the time to advocate on behalf of yourself and school social workers. Your efforts truly can make a difference!
SSWAA Legislative Advocacy Team
Your membership dollars at work!