2013 Awardee: Patricia Childs, LCSW-C, FAPA
Patricia "Pat" Childs was selected as the second recipient of SSWAA's School Social Worker of the Year Award. Pat is a proud member of SSWAA and School Social Workers in Maryland. She is also currently serving as the NorthEast Regional Representative to the SSWAA Board. Excerpts from her nomination include:
- Pat is a long time school social worker who has been practicing over 20 years
- She has been a leader in her local/state association, leader in her school association and provided leadership in her individual school.
- She has touched the lives of many students
- Her colleagues stated in a support letter that "she is the personification of Lucille Ball's phrase - 'when you want something done, just ask a busy person to do it'".
- Her principal comments that "as she continues to provide professional skills and services, the lives of principals, teachers, students, parents, and the community will continue to change for the better while moving toward the goals of our school system".
- Her association shared that she works quietly behind the scenes to bring people together, resolve problems and advocate for children and families. The contributions to her assigned schools, social work department, students and families are largely "unsung".