The School Social Work Association of America continues to need the active involvement and hard work of excellent leadership as we grow as an association in serving the increasing needs of our members and affiliate states. Here's your chance to help shape the future of SSWAA and our profession.
1. Read the Candidate Statements
2. Vote when you receive the Election Survey (November 16 - December 1, 2015)
Board Position Criteria:
President Elect: 1 year term , 2 year term as President [2017-2018] and 1 year as Past President 
• SSWAA member for minimum 36 months prior to nomination.
• Minimum of 5 years professional school social work experience
• Demonstrated leadership experience with a School Social Work organization at the State, Regional, National, or International level
2 Year Terms January 2016 through December 2017
Secretary: (2 year term of office)
• Must have word processing experience
• Must be a SSWAA member for at least 36 months prior to nomination.
• Must have at least 5 years of experience working as a SSW.
• Must be employed or eligible to be employed as a SSW of your state.
Members at Large (2 Regional Representatives): (2 year term)
• Must live or work in the designated SSWAA geographical Region for which they are running. (Southern, Western)
Southern Regional Representative: (2 year. term)
Southern: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and the territories of Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.
Western Regional Representative: (2 year. term)
Western: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the territories of American Samoa, Guam,
and the Northern Mariana Islands.
• Must be a SSWAA member in good standing for at least twelve (12) months prior to nomination
• Must have demonstrated leadership in professional or volunteer activities
• Must have at least (2) years experience as a school social worker
• Must have been employed or be eligible to be employed as a school social worker in the in the state of residence (including retirees, administrators, faculty and state consultants).
Representative for University Relations: (2 year term)
• Must be a SSWAA member for at least 24 months prior to nomination
• Must be a faculty member at a college or university within a Department of Social Work
• Must have a teaching and research interest in school social work or school-based research.
The Board has developed guidelines to assist the Nomination Committee in the application and selection process for the SSWAA Board of Directors. Please review the above Qualification Criteria closely.
This is a WORKING Board and Board members are expected to actively participate in regular online meetings, committee work, conferences, and events and provide leadership for board initiatives.
Board Application and Election Time Line:
September 1: Nominations Open-- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
October 31: Nominations close
November 1 - 14: Nomination Committee reviews applications
November 15: Slate of Candidates presented to SSWAA President and Executive Director
November 15: Board President approves slate.
November 16: Start Election of Board Candidates
December 1: End Election
December 2: Executive Director notifies SSWAA President and Nominations' Chair of the election results. Vote totals are not disseminated to anyone else.
December 3: SSWAA President notifies candidates of election results.
Elected Board Candidates take office in January 1, 2016
SSWAA Bylaws, December 31, 2012
Board Policy regarding Board Positions September 2012