National School Social Work Week 2014
National School Social Work Week is celebrated the first full week of March. This year we will celebrate March 2 - 8, 2014! In 2013 SSWAA sent letters to the 50 State Governors asking them to declare School Social Work Week in their state. We have posted those we received below:
Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Maryland--Senator Barbara Mikulski Proclamation, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin
School Social Workers Celebrate:
"Who Are We to Our Students?" Poem by Hope Pacheco, LMSW
How did YOU celebrate? Let us know.
School Social Work Week Celebration Activities:
Here are some suggestions for how you can promote and celebrate School Social Work Week:
- Sponsor a breakfast at your school thanking staff for their support
- Exchange "secret SSW" gifts with other SSW for the week and have a get together on Friday to celebrate
- Write a short description of school social work for local paper acknowledging SSW week
- Send yourself flowers, or better yet, have someone else send flowers!
- Have principal acknowledge your contribution during staff meeting
- Send dates to your local union to include in calendar
- Make a sign for the teachers lounge
- Have students make cards/posters about SSW
- Present to the school board acknowledging SSW week and your job (bring statistics and a powerpoint)
- Organize a all school social workers get together after school
- Send thank you notes to the other SSW in your district
- Send a thank you email to other SSW
- Send a thank you for your support email to teachers and the principal
- Contact special education director/district level supervisor to thank them for supporting your work
- Dress up (professionally) the whole week or one day to celebrate SSW Week
- Bring in a dessert for lunch to share with staff.
- Wear a silly hat all week
- Host an "Open House" in your office so staff can see what you do!
- Present at a staff meeting about your job/statistics etc
- Have a party for the students you see to thank them for being great kids to work with
- Smile all week and remember your work is important and valuable, THANK YOU!!!
Send us other ways YOU celebrate School Social Work Week!
School Social Work Advocacy Resources:
For a list of documents, pamphlets, powerpoints, articles, job retention resources, etc, to promote School Social Work, click here.
School Social Work Association of America
P. O. Box 1086; Sumner, WA 98390 - Contact Us